Today with the modern conveniences a dishwasher is an item that most households have. Have you ever stopped to consider what the effects of using this appliance can have on the health of you and your family and also the environment.
The water shortage in many states here in Australia and in the United States means that the developers of these helpful appliances have had their designs refined to use a minimum amount of water. This is a good thing you may say, but at what cost to your health?
We as consumers often take for granted the products we use everyday must be benign if not harmless. We assume if it’s something we purchased from our local, friendly grocery store in the nice packaging it must be safe. This is not always true.
The contents of automatic dishwasher detergents are highly toxic and if you read the label it is clearly stated that it is “harmful if swallowed” and “burns skin and throat” and in one bottle that I retrieved form a friends house (whose husband very sadly died last year from cancer I might add) it is listed as number 8 on the corrosive scale! Now let me ask you, are you totally happy to use a product in your dishwasher to wash your dishes, cups and cutlery which contains ingredients that are so toxic and burn your skin and throat?? And what is more, even if the amount used is small there is more residue left on the surfaces of the crockery and cutlery because our machines do not have as much water to rinse thoroughly. You are consuming an amount of the product daily, whether you want to believe it or not.
Coming from a 3rd world country we never had the luxury of an automatic dishwasher until we immigrated to Australia. I could never understand why my crockery was suddenly becoming very scratched and those with coloured designs had lost their finish? My glassware too was etched and every time we drank out of the cups and glasses we noticed a chemical taste and a noxious odour. While staying at my brother’s home I noticed that each time I opened their cupboard containing glassware I was horrified at the chlorine odour that was obvious. These were glasses that are used daily and come from the dishwasher.
Although it is not proven, I believe that the constant headaches I was suffering from when we first arrived in Australia was partly due to the fumes when opening the dishwasher every morning.
I am so grateful that I found an alternative that is environmentally friendly and safer for my family while still being cost effective.
Is there any wonder why the incidence of cancer of the throat, bowel, esophagus, tongue and stomach etc. are so high?
Ingredients commonly found in automatic dish washing detergents are phosphates, chlorine, bleach and lye.
Because phosphorous is beneficial in softening water, and in breaking down dirt it is a common ingredient in detergents. However, it is highly alkaline and causes burning and drying out of the skin.
When phosphorous enters our rivers and lakes it increases the amount of nutrients available for plant growth causing excessive growth of plants such as algae, known as algal bloom and appearing to turn the lakes green.Algal blooms on the surface of the lake shading the plants growing underneath which then die and decompose. This decomposition requires oxygen, more than is naturally available and the oxygen levels in the lake get used up making it incapable of supporting plant and animal life. The lake then dies.
Chlorine has an intensely disagreeable suffocating odor, and is exceedingly poisonous. It is used in detergents as a bleaching, and disinfecting agent but it makes the products containing them almost unbearable to use and is harmful to persons with respiratory sensitivities such as Asthma and other bronchial diseases. The fumes are often the cause of headaches.Chlorine plays a major role in the depletion of the ozone layer, global warming and acid rain.
Lye (also known as caustic soda) is a highly concentrated watery solution of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and is usually combined with animal fats in soap making. This ingredient is corrosive and will dry out the skin.
So you can see that these harsh, abrasive ingredients in automatic dish washing detergents are actually doing more harm than good. The abrasive cleaning action is ruining our crockery and utensils, the residue we consume is making us sick, the effects of which we may only see in years to come, and every time you run your appliance using those products you send toxic waste into our water system and wreak havoc with the environment.
Consider making a healthy choice instead of going with convenience.
If you are experiencing any of the conditions mentioned or have concerns about using toxins such as automatic dish washing detergent or other household products in your home and want to use more environmentally friendly ones, that are safer and more cost effective, then I encourage you to fill out your name and email in the form below and you will receive my newsletter containing helpful healthy information.
Also feel free to contact me on any of the methods listed.